Welcome to Oakwood Presbyterian Church
ARE YOU NEW or HAVE A PRAYER REQUEST?
We can't wait to see you! Send us your request to connect with Oakwood by clicking HERE. This will also help if you have children who would like to check-in to Sunday morning activities.
We offer two services:
- 8:30 am worship with traditional hymns.
- 11:15 am worship with contemporary hymns and a Livestream of the service on the website at oakwoodpca/live.
A Livestream of the 11:15 am service, which is our contemporary service, is available each week. You can watch the service "live" at 11:15 am at www.oakwoodpca.org/live. Following the service, a video recording of the most recent Livestream will be posted on the website.
SUNDAY school classes
(NO CLASSES DURING THE SUMMER)
Children's Sunday School: 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
- There are no Sunday school classes during the summer.
- Beginning in the fall, Sunday School classes for all ages are available every Sunday morning. Children from ages 3 yrs. through 6th grade begin their class with a time of singing at 9:50 am and transition to their Sunday school classrooms at 10:15. Children from 7th grade through 12th grade go directly to their classroom at 10:00 am. All Sunday school classes end at 11:00 am
You will need to check in your children for Sunday school with Check-Ins through the Church Center app. Click HERE to access Oakwood Church Center on your phone or computer.
Please browse through the information and links below to learn more about Oakwood. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us. We hope that you will come to visit us in person soon!
Where is Oakwood?
Will I fit in at Oakwood?
The Oakwood church family is multi-generational and multi-cultural. We are singles, young couples just starting out, families of all ages, and retirees. Every year we welcome Penn State undergrads and grad students from all over the world. We are all different but united by an earnest quest to know and serve our Lord.
Sunday attire varies widely from very casual to more formal. Please feel free to dress for worship in a manner that is comfortable for you.
What to expect on Sunday Mornings...
Please see the information below for more details.
Oakwood has two Sunday morning worship services with a Sunday School hour from 10:00 am - 11:00 am in between during the school year. Each worship service typically lasts between 75 and 90 minutes and includes a 30-40 minute exposition of Scripture. Babies and children are welcome to join the congregation for worship services, however, if you prefer Nursery for children ages 0-2 years is available during the 11:15 service during the sermon. Oakwood's Children's Church is available for children ages 3 years - 1st grade, during the sermon for both worship services.
The 8:30 am Traditional Service features hymns from the Trinity Hymnal with piano accompaniment. The 11:15 am Contemporary Service features praise songs and hymns, primarily in the contemporary folk-rock style. Instrumentation includes acoustic guitar, bass guitar, piano, and Cajon and djembe drums.
Communion is offered on the first Sunday of every month. Both wine and grape juice are served. The bread is gluten-free. Communion is for believers, and we welcome anyone who is a member in good standing of a Bible-believing church to join us at the Lord's Table.
I'm interested in becoming a member of Oakwood
If you are a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and would like to become a member of Oakwood PCA, all that you need to do is let one of our Pastors or Elders know or contact our church office at . We will then schedule a time for two of our Elders to meet with you to hear your testimony.
Our hope is for the interview to be a pleasant experience for you, as it always is for the Elders. The interview usually takes approximately 30 minutes, during which we will get to know each other, discuss your church background and how you became a Christian. Additionally, we will ask you to provide a brief summary of the gospel or how a person becomes a Christian. We will also talk about the responsibilities of the church and its members. Finally, we will ask you to affirm the following membership vows:
- Do you acknowledge yourself to be a sinner in the sight of God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope except in His sovereign mercy?
- Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
- Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes a follower of Jesus Christ?
- Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?
- Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?