6 Clearance Requirements
for Children/Youth Workers and Child Protection Policy
Thank you for giving time to care for and educate our covenant kids at Oakwood! There are five documents you will need to complete before you serve. This documentation is required for all adults (age 18 and above) who volunteer directly with children and youth. If you are under 18 and would like to volunteer with children, you only need to complete the Oakwood Children's Worker Application. Childcare workers are also responsible for abiding by Oakwood's Church Child Safety Policies and Procedures, which can be found HERE.
These documents must be completed and kept up to date as listed:
- Oakwood Children’s Worker Application (Required by Oakwood Policy) Forms are available from the Oakwood office or by clicking HERE.
- PA State Police Criminal History (Required by PA Law). Must be renewed every 60 months or 5 years. This clearance is available online for free at https://epatch.pa.gov/home.
- PA Child Abuse History Check (Required by PA Law). Must be renewed every 60 months or 5 years. This clearance is available online for free for volunteers at https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS.
- FBI Federal Criminal History Fingerprint Check OR Affidavit in Lieu of FBI Check (Required by PA Law). Must be renewed every 60 months or 5 years. If an individual has lived in PA for the past 10 years continuously, they can submit a signed affidavit, linked here and also BELOW. If you have NOT lived in PA for the past 10 years continuously, you will need to do an FBI fingerprint check. Begin by registering at https://uenroll.identogo.com. If you are a VOLUNTEER you will need to enter the service code 1KG6ZJ. You will need to pay a $22.60 fee with a credit card to register (Oakwood will reimburse you for this cost or you may consider it a donation).
- Child Abuse Recognition and Reporting Training (Also called mandated reporter training), Per Oakwood Policy must be renewed every 60 months or 5 years. You must complete ONE mandated reporter course. If you have had training through PSU or elsewhere, please submit your certificate of completion. This clearance is available online for free for volunteers at one of the following sites: Training Options (choose one):
- Read and sign the Oakwood Presbyterian Church Child Safety Policies and Procedures form HERE (Required by Oakwood Policy).
Once you have completed your clearances, please submit COPIES of all six documents to Tricia Sharp at or send them to the Oakwood office at 1865 Waddle Rd., State College, PA 16803. If you have completed any of these clearances through another organization, we can accept those as well. Just send copies of what you have and contact us if you have any questions. Once you receive confirmation that we have received your documents, you may begin serving with youth and/or children.