Children's Worker Requirements for Oakwood
Information about what needs to be completed before you can volunteer with any children's ministry at Oakwood
Clearance & Training Requirements for Children/Youth Workers at Oakwood Presbyterian Church
Documentation for all adults (age 18 and above) who volunteer directly with children and youth are required. Any questions? Contact the church office at
NOTE: All clearances are transferable, so clearances obtained for other organizations can be submitted in fulfillment of these requirements. Also, any clearances you obtain for Oakwood can be used to fulfill requirements for other volunteer positions.
- Oakwood Children’s Worker Application
- PA State Police Criminal History (Required by PA Law). Renew every 60 months or 5 years.
This clearance is available online for free at https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp?session. Select “New Record Check (volunteers only).” You will first have to enter information on the agency requesting the check (you can enter yourself as the agency) and then you will enter the information on the person being checked (which is you). You are NOT required to enter your SSN if you prefer not to. Please write down your control number for future access in case you get a message that your history check is Pending or Under Review. When your record check has been completed, click on your control number, and then click on the button at the bottom to display your certificate. DO NOT CLOSE THE CERTIFICATE UNTIL YOU HAVE PRINTED AND/OR SAVED IT! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS IT AGAIN! You will need to submit a copy of your clearance.
- PA Child Abuse History Check (Required by PA Law). Renew every 60 months or 5 years.
This clearance is available online for free for volunteers at https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS. You will begin by creating an individual account for yourself, and then you will enter your data and access your clearances through this account. Once your clearance has been processed, you will be able to access your certificate from your account. You will need to submit a copy of your clearance.
- FBI Fingerprint Check or Affidavit in Lieu of FBI Check (Required by PA Law)
If you have lived in PA for the past 10 years continuously, you are eligible to skip the FBI Fingerprint check by signing an Oakwood Volunteer Affidavit. Affidavits are available in the Oakwood office or on the Oakwood website www.oakwoodpca.org.
If you have NOT lived in PA for the past 10 years continuously, you will need to do an FBI fingerprint check. Begin by registering at https://uenroll.identogo.com. If you are a VOLUNTEER you will need to enter the service code 1KG6ZJ (paid staff service code is 1KG756). Go through the prompts and schedule an appointment at a location of your choosing (there is only one location in State College). You will need to pay a $22.60 fee with a credit card to register (Oakwood will reimburse you for this or you may consider it a donation). Print your appointment confirmation sheet and take it, along with the appropriate ID to the location where your fingerprints will be scanned electronically and submitted. Results will be mailed to you in about 5 weeks and will arrive in a plain white envelope (be on the lookout as it’s easy to overlook this as junk mail). Once you have a copy of your fingerprint check, submit a copy of your certificate to the Oakwood office.
- Child Abuse Recognition and Reporting Training (Required by Oakwood Policy). Must be renewed every 36 months. You must complete ONE mandated reporter course. If you have had training through PSU or elsewhere, please submit your certificate of completion. Oakwood also provides an in-class training once a semester. In addition, there are two options for free online training, which you can complete on your own. Any one of these options will fulfill the three hours of mandated reporter training. Here are links to the free online courses (you only need one): This clearance is available online for free for volunteers at one of the following sites (choose one):
You will begin by creating an individual account for yourself, and then you will enter your data and access your clearances through this account. Once your clearance has been processed, you will be able to access your certificate from your account. You will need to submit a copy of your clearance.
To submit documents:
By Mail: 1865 Waddle Road State College PA 16803
In Person Drop off: Oakwood Office (mailbox: Clearances)